Nootropics can increase your brainpower. It sounds too good to be true right? Pills that can actually increase your cognitive function, memory recall, and enhance focus? Well we’re here to tell you, that it’s not.
What Are Nootropics
Nootropics, also called smart drugs or cognitive enhancers are supplements or other substances that improve cognitive function, particularly mental clarity, memory recall, creativity, retention, and motivation.
How Do Nootropics Work?
The study of nootropics on cognitive performance and function has been widely researched under many modalities. Nootropics affect the brain through a number of mechanisms or pathwaysThere are two different classes of nootropics namely; synthetic, which are lab created compounds, and natural herbal nootropics such as Ginkgo Bilboa, Bacopa Monniera, and Vinpocetine.
According to a comprehensive study published in the Journal of Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
“Natural nootropics are proven in boosting the brain function while at the same time making the brain healthier. Nootropics act as a vasodilator against the small arteries and veins in the brain 2. Introduction of natural nootropics in the system will increase the blood circulation to the brain and at the same time provide the important nutrient and increase energy and oxygen flow to the brain 3. Despite the 3% weight of total body weight, the brain receives around 15% of the body's total blood supply and oxygen. In fact, the brain can only generate energy from burning the glucose 4, proving that neuron depends on the continuous supply of oxygen and nutrients.
In contrast to most of the other cells in the human body, neuron cannot be reproduced and is irreplaceable. The neuron cells are persistently expending the converted energy to maintain the repair of the cell compartments. The energy generated from the glucose is crucial for maintenance, electrical, and neurotransmitter purposes 5. The effect of natural nootropics is also shown to reduce the inflammation occurrence in the brain 6. The administration of nootropics will protect the brain from toxins and minimising the effects of brain aging. Effects of natural nootropics in improving the brain function are also contributed through the stimulation of the new neuron cell. As incentive from the new neuronal cell, the activity of the brain is increased, enhancing the thinking and memory abilities, thus increasing neuroplasticity.”8
How Do I Find The Right Nootropic
With a myriad of nootropics on the market, it can be increasingly difficult to find the right ingredients to help improve cognitive performance. Natural nootropic supplements that contain widely researched ingredients, which provide evidence-based results, are what you need to look for. We’ve listed a few to get you started.
Bacopa, or Brahmi has been used for thousands of years as a traditional Ayurvedic medicine in India. Bacopa is used to treat a wide-variety of cognitive related issues and nervous system disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, memory loss, anxiety, ADHD and stress 13. According to Ayurvedic medical practitioners,
Bacopa monnieri is categorized as a medhya rasayana, a compound that stimulates and enhances the memory and intellect.
The mechanism of action contributed from Bacopa is by the chemical constituents of bacoside A and B.9 The mixture bacosides A and B facilitates the three types of learning function, procedural, declarative, and spontaneous, and improves the episodic memory observed in animal models.10
Other Bacopa Benefits Include
- Adaptogenic Stress Reducer
- Anxiety and depression
- Memory Improvement
- Alzheimer’s Disease & Dementia
- Chronic Pain
- Blood Pressure
Another nootropic superstar is the iconic Ginkgo Balboa. Originally from China, Ginkgo Balboa is extracted from the oldest tree species on earth, the Chinese Ginkgo tree, also known as the maidenhair tree. Ginkgo’s popularity stems from the fact that it contains two constituents (flavonoids and terpenoids) that have extremely strong antioxidant properties, which may in fact help slow down the progression of age-related diseases, by combating stress. Studies show that flavonoids protect the nerves, heart, and blood vessels from damage, while terpenoids improve blood flow by dilating blood vessels and reducing the stickiness of platelets 12
Other Benefits of Ginkgo Balboa include
- Anxiety and depression
- Increases focus and concentration
- Reduces risk for Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Improves libido
- Fights PMS symptoms
- Helps treat ADHD
- Fights Fibromyalgia
- Helps treat headaches
If you’re like most people, you’ve probably never heard of Phosphatidylserine. But despite its seeming unpopularity, Phosphatidylserine is present in every cell of the human body and is particularly concentrated in the brain.
Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid that contains both amino acids and fatty acids. The omega 3-fatty acids work synergistically with Phosphatidylserine to form the building blocks of healthy cell membranes. Phosphatidulersine is a critical component in the maintenance of all cellular function, especially cognitive function. Reasearach has been shown that Phosphatidylserine is critical in its ability to aid in bone matrix formation, cell repair for the immune system, heart rhythm, hormone secretion by the adrenal glands and even testicular function. 11
Other Benefits of Phosphatidylserine include
- Combats depression
- Slows down cognitive degeneration
- Improves symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Improves Parkinson symptoms
- Improves athletic performance
In conclusion, natural nootropic supplements can give you the extra boost in brainpower that most of us so desperately need. We all have days where we just don’t feel 100%, times when we feel hazy, unmotivated and aren’t as productive as we’d like to be. Natural nootropics are proven in boosting the brain function while at the same time making the brain healthier. Each one of the listed ingredients above are proven to help with cognitive function and slowing the aging process, which is extremely important if you want to increase the quality of your life as you get older. At the end of the day, it’s important even critical to take preventive action in you health, particularly your mind.
Increase Your Mental Clarity, Memory Recall and Focus With Our Natural Nootropic Supplement ELITROPE.
- Lanni C., Lenzken S. C., Pascale A., et al. Cognition enhancers between treating and doping the mind. Pharmacological Research. 2008;57(3):196–213. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2008.02.004. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
- Dartigues J.-F., Carcaillon L., Helmer C., Lechevallier N., Lafuma A., Khoshnood B. Vasodilators and nootropics as predictors of dementia and mortality in the PAQUID cohort. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2007;55(3):395–399. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01084.x. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
- Kessler J., Thiel A., Karbe H., Heiss W. D. Piracetam improves activated blood flow and facilitates rehabilitation of poststroke aphasic patients. Stroke. 2000;31(9):2112–2116. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.31.9.2112. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
- Raichle M. E., Mintun M. A. Brain work and brain imaging. Annual Review of Neuroscience. 2006;29:449–476. doi: 10.1146/annurev.neuro.29.051605.112819. [Cross Ref]
- Kumar V., Khanna V. K., Seth P. K., Singh P. N., Bhattacharya S. K. Brain neurotransmitter receptor binding and nootropic studies on Indian Hypericum perforatum Linn. Phytotherapy Research. 2002;16(3):210–216. doi: 10.1002/ptr.1101. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
- Radhika P., Annapurna A., Rao S. N. Immunostimulant, cerebroprotective & nootropic activities of Andrographis paniculata leaves extract in normal & type 2 diabetic rats. The Indian Journal of Medical Research. 2012;135(5):636–641. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Melkonyan K. P.1.c.002 influence of nootropil on neuroplasticity of the brain cortex in conditions of hypokinesia. European Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;16:S224–S225. doi: 10.1016/s0924-977x(06)70170-5. [Cross Ref]
- Suliman, N. A., Mat Taib, C. N., Mohd Moklas, M. A., Adenan, M. I., Hidayat Baharuldin, M. T., & Basir, R. (2016). Establishing Natural Nootropics: Recent Molecular Enhancement Influenced by Natural Nootropic. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine : eCAM, 2016, 4391375. http://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4391375
- Roodenrys S., Booth D., Bulzomi S., Phipps A., Micallef C., Smoker J. Chronic effects of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) on human memory. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002;27(2):279–281. doi: 10.1016/s0893-133x(01)00419-5. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
- Singh H. K., Rastogi R. P., Srimal R. C., Dhawan B. N. Effect of bacosides A and B on avoidance responses in rats. Phytotherapy Research. 1988;2(2):70–75. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2650020205. [Cross Ref]
- Improve Alzheimer's & Parkinson's Symptoms, Improve Athletic Performance & Treat ADHD Using Phosphatidylserine-Rich Foods https://draxe.com/phosphatidylserine/
- "Ginkgo Biloba Benefits Energy, Mood & Memory." Dr. Axe. N.p., 29 Mar. 2017. Web. 13 June 2017.
- "The Better Alternative to Dangerous Psychotropic Drugs." Dr. Axe. N.p., 05 Apr. 2017. Web. 13 June 2017.